My tribute to Cheng Khoon
You may have the read The Straits Times lately, and heard of how the Sports Editor, Tay Cheng Khoon had passed away from cancer last week.
Well, Cheng Khoon (or Cheese, as I knew him affectionately) was my boss last year when I did my internship. I remember when I first met him- he was the main interviewer at my job interview, and grilled me on anything from sports to politics. I passed on the Sports part, but could not answer Cheng Khoon when he asked me when the elections were.
I replied: "I think it's sometime in the next two weeks right?"
And Cheng Khoon looked me in the eye, and said: "The election date has already been announced, haven't you read the papers?"
Well, i hadn't, for i was in the midst of my exam preparations then. But that's no excuse.
Anyway, Cheng Khoon still hired me despite the gaffe. He said that i knew pretty much about sports, and luckily for me- the other applicant for the post was well-versed in everything EXCEPT sports.
On my first day of work, I stood before the great man, and started calling him "Sir". I thought that no one should address their employers by their name, especially when they were a good many years older than you.
I soon found out that he was known affectionately as Cheese (although initially, i thought it was Chief, and called him that for a while!). Sometimes, being the cheeky guy that i am, i used to call him "Boss" just to disturb him!
But i'm sure he would have understood, for i have heard that he was once a cheeky and mischievious boy, before he mellowed into the man he was.
Cheese was the one who gave me my nick-name "Gan Cheong". Usually, he would shout across the desk, "Gan Cheong" or "Spider" or at times, "Gan Cheong Spider". I never found out what incident made him call me "Gan Cheong Spider" but he must have thought i was one!
Cheese also said that i reminded him of a young Marc Lim, and to this day (though i feel it is a huge compliment), i don't know why.
Cheese was not just an inspiration to a young journalist like me. I found him to be a father figure and mentor. He would respect us young interns as young adults, and ask us for our opinions. He used to encourage us to come up with our own story ideas, and woe betide the reporter who came to a meeting empty-handed.
He taught me that being prepared is one of the most important journalistic skills to possess. While, his many contacts in the sporting fraternity, and his wealth of knowledge in all sports was legendary.
I remember going to his clubhouse at the Padang- he had brought me and Xinyi there to lunch with him. We shared and enjoyable meal with him (which he kindly paid for). I remember that then, i had not know Cheese was a huge Tottenham fan, and being the die-hard United fan that i am, proceeded to insult his favourite clubs, only to be met with stunned astonishment from Xinyi, and a quick come-back from Cheese!
Fancy that- having the stupidity to insult your boss' fave club!
But Cheese was not a petty man. He was a generous and kind one. He appreciated our efforts during the hectic World Cup, and often treated the staff to nice meals to make sure we knew we were appreciated.
I also remember how he drove me home once or twice, after a late night's work at the desk. For Cheese stayed in the same area as me, and he was generous enough to give me a ride, sparing me a long journey in the SPH shuttle bus. I will always feel lucky to sit by the side of that great man.
He was the one that created that feeling of family at the Sports Desk, and when i went back recently, without him there, it was just different.
I remember once, i was working OT as i tried to double-check for any errors in a story, and subsequently, almost missed a mass for a Catholic day of obligation. When Cheese found out, he asked me to submit my story to the subs, and chided me for missing mass. He promptly drove me to the nearest Catholic church at Toa Payoh, such was his love for God.
I remember also, making mistakes in my story and praying that Cheese would not notice my mistakes. But he always did. He was that sharp. And when he was displeased with you over a story, he always made sure you knew. But that's how he made us improve.
I remember how he was there almost evry hour during the World Cup, holding the team together, guiding us to greater heights. I remember he collapsed from what i had then thought was exhaustion. I didn't know all that time, and only found out about his cancer when i went back recently.
I have been busy lately, and although the idea of visiting him at his house did brush my mind, i put it off until it was too late. Maybe it wouldn't have mattered anyway, i heard that he had not wanted people to go and visit him these past weeks(except the very closest of his friends).
Whatever the case, i think it's too late for regrets. And i'm going to respect Cheng Khoon the best way i know how- by remembering him in my heart and growing up to become a great Sports journalist like he did. So that the lessons he taught me won't go to waste.
I'm sure that Cheng Khoon smiles on us from heaven, and feel that he would not have wanted us to mourn him or feel sad for him. For he is truly in a better place now.
Going to his wake on Saturday, i felt terribly sad when the song "How great thou art..." was sung. I felt that the three months i knew Cheese were too short. I felt like crying, but somehow, the tears are stuck within me. I guess i'm not one for funerals, so i didn't turn up for his funeral on Sunday. Maybe i'm not one for goodbyes. Maybe i couldn't bear to see Cheese go for good.
Dear Cheese, i know you will understand why i didn't turn up for the funeral. Someday, we will meet again in heaven, and i hope that i would have carried on your journalistic legacy to your pride.
I still want to ask you someday, "Why exactly did you nickname me Gan Cheong?"


<< Home