Somewhere Only We Know...: Not always wise to be the good Samaritan...

Sunday, September 02, 2007

Not always wise to be the good Samaritan...

So the remaining 19 Korean hostages have been released from their captivity in Afghanistan.

Well, good for them. And I hope that they learn this lesson: don't go and do your charity work in some God-forsaken country like Afghanistan. In fact, one must ask the question: what was the Pastor of the church of the 19 Koreans thinking when he sanctioned their trip?

I think he must have been thinking, "I really don't like those people so I'll send them away... to Afghanistan!!" Heh heh heh.

Next time, choose a nicer place to do social work. One where you won't get kidnapped, used as a bargaining chip, or beheaded for the fun of it.

Yup, there are many such countries in the world (i.e. Singapore, where I'm sure the NKF always needs more social workers, or for that matter, gold toilet seats)...

So why Afghanistan- where a bomb might blow up next to you (that is, if you don't step on a landmine 1st)? Or where some stupid, uneducated people from the stone-age who call themselves the Taleban and who are led by even stupider leaders might capture you, and say, "Hey, thank you very much for coming to do your social work but we need to make our point clear to the watching world audience, so your head's gotta roll!"

Methinks that these Korean people are pretty selfish or foolish or they just have a death-wish. Knowing how dangerous and barbaric a place Afghanistan is, why make your family members worry by going over there? Why give your own government huge problems by getting captured, and waste precious $$ negotiating their release. Hey, time and $ are precious you know!

And they even made people in Singapore worry about them (as I did when a chain-sms was sent asking people to pray for them)...

So do the smart thing- don't go to Afghanistan. In fact, the smarter thing would be to send in an air-strike on that God-forsaken place, wipe out those jungles or bushes where those kamakazi terrorists hide (they bring a whole new dimension to suicide bombers). If that doesn't work (for terrorists do grow on trees- there are new ones everyday and the U.S. army didn't manage to wipe them out), drop a bomb or something.

Yeah, I may be pessimistic, but I don't believe there's enough shreds of civilisation in that country to make it worthwhile still existing on the face of this planet.

So shoot me if you find my comments offensive. At least I can still say I'm smart enough NOT to do social work in Afghanistan.