Somewhere Only We Know...: Counting down (sadly) my time at the Straits Times

Monday, July 17, 2006

Counting down (sadly) my time at the Straits Times

Today was realllliiii slack.

I did absolutely nothing at work. Nothing! With the World Cup over, the sports scene in Singapore is heading into its traditional July-August lull (or that's what i was told).

So, I, Christopher Ong- Sports Journalist (last two weeks i get to say this!) sat at my desk surfing soccernet (and clicking refresh to see if any new news came in- that's how free i was).

Bleah. I wish I had some story to write today.

Well, its been a meaningful internship. I've learnt stuff at an accelerated rate and honestly don't think there's lots more stuff for me to learn at SCI (not that i'm looking down on school but it's just that when you're in the real-life situation, i.e. my job, you learn THAT much faster).

This sounds silly but i wish i can quit school now and start work as a Sports Journo...well, but i need my degree to get better pay and etc, etc, etc...

Anyway, today Cheeze (my editor) was so nice and treated the desk to a lunch at Pow Sing (famous, nice chicken rice and nonya food restaurant at Chomp Chomp). He said it was to thank us three interns for the good work we had done during the World Cup.
He also said that we would be welcome back in four years time, when we graduated.

And we got to hang out with Marc, who's back from covering the World Cup in Germany. Haha, he got a nice tan in Germany and really liked the experience there. As any proper reporter would, Marc interrogated me the going-ons of my personal life while he was away...

Haha, that's why i like my job. I feel appreciated and people treat me like a proper journalist, not an intern. So as i prepare to return to school, i just want to say to how much i appreciate learning from guys like Marc and Alvin what it means to be a good journalist!