Somewhere Only We Know...: Work (World) Cup

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Work (World) Cup

The 2006 World Cup is finally here...but its not good news for me!

Why?

Because to keep up with the World Cup, the Straits Times Sports Desk has introduced odd working hours of 4pm to 2am for me...

So basically everyday I come in at 4pm, do a bit of work, have dinner and watch the 9pm game to look out for any talking points that we can write about.

Well, good thing is: I'm getting paid to watch the World Cup! And its actually part of my job scope...

Now, the bad news: When the World Cup starts, my odd working hours will mean that i won't have much of a social life...

Ah well, I guess at least with the World Cup, i get to write more articles- if u've been reading the ST daily, you will probably see some Readers Poll or Experts Panel, usually written by me!

More interestingly, i got to write two articles on refereeing- one is on the dreadful refereeing at the France-Switzerland game, the other was on Shamsul Maidin.

Quite proud of myself- for the latter article. I actually called a Fifa media officer all the way in Zurich to get a comment from him. I had to call Fifa Headquarters, then get passed along on the phone trail several times before i spoke to the guy...

Anyway money-wise, the World Cup has been good to me so far..Me and Jamie have made some $ off Singapore Pools, but basically peanuts lah. Haha, for the duration of this World Cup, i'm her BnB (tt's for us to know and for no one else to find out;)

Well, end of this quick update...hopefully, more good things to come!