Somewhere Only We Know...: Dear Marc...

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Dear Marc...

As I cross the half-way mark of my internship, I would like to thank you.

For telling me that my writing was crap at the beginning, that one story i wrote was just a disjointed collection of scores, another plainly BORING.

For standing behind me when I phone-interviewed, and telling me that my tone sounded dull and uninterested, so why would the interviewee want to give me good quotes?

For (together with Leonard) being a friend to me, and advising me when things looked bleak. For making me feel included, with the little things- for instance going on a car-ride out of the office with you and Leonard one day, so i could debrief you on a story.

For printing out some old stories of yours, so i could read them and learn to write like you.

When I first came, I was feeling burnt out from spending my hols in Bangkok reporting on the SEA Games, and sad from my grandpa's death. I was feeling lost, finding it hard to adjust to the long hours, and wondering with all the setbacks- whether I was cut-out to be a journalist.

But I know now that this is what i really want in my life.

When I doubted myself, and wondered when i could come up with my own story ideas, you kept faith and patience in me. In the past month, I can proudly say that I've come up with my own stories, and you were right- the feeling is so rewarding.

When I finally began to write good stories (like I always believed i was capable of, just that i was too jaded to do so), I really felt a great sense of satisfaction, and a great debt to you.

At work today, I may have jibed you about losing out to me at soccer on Thursday, but you know beneath the bickering relationship we share, I really respect you.

Seriously, when I asked you to be my supervisor, I never thought you would invest so much time and energy in me. I mean, i'm just an intern, how many supervisors would do what you did- be a friend and a mentor?

The other day, the two new interns came, and I guess i surprised myself by giving them a briefing, and even went so far as teaching them about the job.

When I heard you say, "I feel like a proud father now." I guess you mean that we have come full-circle, you helped me, and now I've reached the stage where I'm able to help others. And it made me proud.

If I could only do a fraction for others what you did for me, I would say I've accomplished a lot.

And when you jokingly told me that I'm now the "Chief Sports Intern (CSI)", I also know you want me to look after the two interns when you fly off to Beijing for the next three weeks.

Today, when I brought them to the badminton event, and they asked me to read through the articles they wrote so i could tell them how they can improve, I realised how satisfying it was when you can help others in something you love.

I was surprised I had so much advice to offer, but not that surprised since what i told them, you told me. And I was also kind of overawed when the interns thought that i had something to offer them, because a few months ago, i didn't think i would have anything to offer anyone.

Maybe I'm only on the start of my journey, and it will still be sometime before I can fully meet your high standards, but I hope that one day, i can be a great journalist, and then i can proudly tell people- Marc Lim was my mentor.

Thanks Marc!