Somewhere Only We Know...: To my Gong Gong, the best grandfather ever.

Monday, January 28, 2008

To my Gong Gong, the best grandfather ever.

I remember being a little boy, staying at ma ma (grandma's) house with my cousins Yeong Chian and later, Yeong Siang.

We used to pester you to bring us to Macdonald's eure very morning, and even though I'm sure you would have preferred the hawker centre, you always let us have our way.

I remember the long walks to East Coast Park, how we would sit down at the Macs and you would order your Sausage McMuffin or big breakfast, and eat the buns with jam.

A little detail, perhaps, but which will stay with me forever.

I remember how you always smoked, until my two cousins started a campaign to get you to quit. YC, with his talent for art, drew no-smoking signs, and they put those up all over the house until you had nowhere to smoke, even ma ma joined in the campaign! Eventually, you resorted to smoking in the toilet, but when you were caught, you were always in for a hiding from ma ma.

Those were the days, where me and YC became like brothers, with little cares, two loving grandparents and where we would play our nintendo and sega, and go for long evening walks with you to the park.

Sometimes, you would bring me to the canal where I would throw stones at the mudskippers.

The memories start to fade slowly. But the other day, J told me that as long as i keep you within my heart, you will never fade.

So maybe this post is a little disorientated. Maybe as i grew up and pursued my ambitions, we spent less and less time together. Maybe i have some regrets.

But well, at least i managed to talk to you those few days i visited you in the hospital. I'm also happy you left knowing that you had settled all your earthly worries. That's why you left right?

Because you didn't want to burden your family and make us worry. Becasue you missed ma ma who died of cancer about 8 years ago, and wanted to join her and your eldest daughter, in heaven.

I'm sure now you can have your weekly mahjong sessions again. Just that it will be in heaven with ma ma and aunty. Yes, you will be watching us from there.

Just as you watched me grow up all those years ago. Because you were a kind, and loving man who really loved me a lot and taught me to be who i am today.

I love you Gong Gong. And that's all that matters.

It's better to have loved and to have lost, then to never have loved at all.